I am an award winning ,singer songwriter from Neston nr Liverpool, England, who plays keyboards & piano.
I have performed successfully at many theatres, clubs and pubs across the Country with and without backing trax, as a solo act and also in/with a band. both as a lead singer and harmony singer/keyboard player. I can sing most genres such as Blues, Pop, Country etc. I am also a very good mimic and can sing like many female singers such as Lady Gaga, Katy Perry even Gracie Fields, Billie Holiday.
Among my appearances are:
Harrah's Casino Piano Bar Las Vegas
Main stage at the Mathew St Festival, Liverpool
The Truck Festival, Oxford,
‘In the City’ Manchester.
‘Summer Nights Festival’ Edinburgh,
‘Americana’ Newark Showground, UK
‘Tolpuddle Martyrs Festival’ Devon UK
Liberty Festival Trafalgar Sq London (Frequently) and headlined the last two times
IPO Festival Liverpool (Frequently)
Baggot Inn New York
Knitting Factory & Spaceland. Los Angeles
The Railway Club. Vancouver Canada. (Frequently)
Sheffield Pride Festival
Red Line Tap and The Abbey. Chicago USA
The Beauty Bar Austin. Texas USA
The 11 Club San Diego USA
Festival Hall, South Bank London.
The End Nashville USA
Jerry Lee Lewis' Club. Memphis USA
Among my awards are
BT Woman of the Year Award. ‘Best Newcomer’ and placed 3rd in main category.
• BBC Radio Merseyside Best Vocalist Award
• Dada Fest’s ‘Young Performer’ from North West Arts Forum.
• Sue was voted ‘The Act Most Likely to Succeed’ at The International Pop Overthrow Festival Liverpool and ‘The act most people wanted to see there again next year.’
• Voted most popular artist/ Act at International Pop Overthrow Festival two years running
• ‘Spirit of Hope Award’ from Hope University.
• UK Songwriting Competition Finalist
• MBF Songwriting Finalist.
• Linda McCartney Songwriting Competition Finalist
1. Soundtrack to documentary shown on BBC 2. Wales. Title of the film ‘I Ain’t Looking for Your Sympathy’ is a line from her autobiographical song ‘The Fighting Kind’
2. Vocals on adverts include, Blue Inc, Carpet World, Diamond Car Insurance, Esure and Delta Airlines which was broadcast internationally on satellite TV and on radio. Session work at various local recording studios in the Northwest.
4. Voice over on videos e.g. Posh Dude.
5. Backing vocals and demos for other songwriters.
TV and Radio Appearances; Include Radio 4’s ‘Woman’s Hour’ BBC Breakfast TV, Granada TV, and frequent appearances and airplays on Radio Merseyside and Radio City and other local radio stations around the UK.
Sue has sung for and met Prince Charles and Prince Edward.
‘A major talent on the threshold of recognition.’ The Independent. (From a 3 page article)
‘When Susan Hedges performs, she hypnotises people’ Alan Bleasdale. (UK Playwright)
‘An album full of elegant and original songs’ The Times.
Some Acts I Have Opened for: Billy Bragg, The Christians, Magic Numbers, Ian MacNabb, Emmy Lou Harris, Little Feat, Steve Earle and Nanci Griffiths, Chip Taylor, Paul Young, Joe Brown, Suzi Quatro and many more
I frequently work with renowned guitarist, James Burton (Elvis’s lead guitarist) singing and playing in his band and I've been on tour with James and Albert Lee.
I am a patron of 2 charities - ‘The Jellybean Appeal’ for sick children at Arrowe Park Hospital. Wirral, and ‘Attitude is Everything’ a national charity based in London to promote access for disabled people to music venues and festivals.
I am an active supporter of Sahir House a local aids charity and ‘KIND’ a local children’s charity also working closely with ‘AimHigher’ and SKILLS encouraging young people into higher education
HND in Music (Distinction).
BA in Music, Popular Music and Music Technology (2:1)
I have recently obtained a PhD in Music so I am able to give lectures on many aspects of Pop Music e.g The Beatles, Origins of Rock and Roll, etc.